Education at the Telluride Historical Museum
Educational Impact Statement
As an essential community partner in education, the Telluride Historical Museum welcomes local and regional schools to explore Telluride’s rich historical and geological past, and to discover our connections to Colorado and our nation’s history.
The Museum’s programs support Colorado’s academic and curriculum standards and focus on the multidisciplinary approach to understanding and appreciating Colorado’s rich geological and historical past. The interactive learning environment at the museum offers school age children of any age the ability to develop problem solving, listening, team building, and research skills. Students and teachers encounter authentic objects from the region, engendering excitement for, and a unique experience of, our history. School programs are facilitated by museum staff to assure the program meets teacher’s curriculum needs.
Plan Your Visit
When planning your visit, please remember:
1. All reservations must be made at least three (3) business days in advance.
2. Public schools in San Miguel County are not charged for participation in the museum’s educational programming. Costs for private groups are $5/child. Teachers and adults are free.
3. Please bring at least one (1) chaperone for every seven (7) students.
4. Consider applying for a THM Bus Scholarship to cover transportation costs to the Telluride Historical Museum.
Ready to visit the museum? Click here to complete the online booking form.
More information about applying for a 2014 Bus Scholarship:
A limited number of scholarships are available and are awarded based on these criteria:
- Your school must be in the San Miguel, San Juan, Ouray, Montrose, Delta, Dolores, La Plata, or Montezuma Counties School District (includes charter schools);
- One scholarship per teacher each school year, and;
- Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Teachers are required to make a program reservation with THM before applying for the Bus Scholarship;
- Schools must arrange for their own transportation;
- Teachers are required to complete the Bus Application form and have it signed by the principle;
- Applications must be received two (2) weeks prior to the planned visit;
- THM requires that you obtain a bus transportation invoice showing trip information and the cost of the bus in advance and submit it together with the application;
- THM will pay the transportation service directly if the scholarship request is approved;
- This scholarship pays only basic bus cost, and;
- Applications will not be processed without a bus transportation invoice.
Questions? Contact Theresa Koenigsknecht at (970) 728-3344 x2 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.