- This event has passed.
Snowshoe Tour – The Narrow Gauge RR and AC Power
March 21, 2015 @ 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM MDT$45
Click here to purchase tickets!
Although most are familiar with the history of the Ames Hydro Electric Generating Plant which, in 1891, generated the first commercial AC power over long distance in the world, few are aware there was a second power plant below Ames in Ilium. We will snowshoe a short section of the railroad grade and discuss the transition from the Denver Rio Grande to the Galloping Goose trains and visit the site of the Ilium Power Station with guide John Sir Jesse.
- Price includes foot passenger lift ticket, snowshoes, poles if desired & guided tour.
- Tour departs at 9AM from Eco Adventures in the Franz Klammer Breezeway.
- This tour is designed for adults (18+) only.
- Guests should wear layered, warm clothing, ski pants and hiking/snow boots.
- No snowshoe experience is necessary, but guests should be physically fit and prepared for 2 hours of snowshoeing.